Monday, May 11, 2009

Sharapova to be back in singles action in Warsaw


After months and months, and may I say more months of waiting, Maria Sharapova WILL be returning to singles play a the clay court tournament in Warsaw next week. Sharapova's last tournament was in August, and the former number 1 has dropped to number 65 in the rankings. No word has been mentioned on whether the Russian will compete at Roland Garros, the season's 2nd Grand Slam, which starts May 24th, but Sharapova says she doesn't want to rush the process. Sharapova's torn rotator cuff has been bothering her throughout her career. “I know it is going to take me a while to get back into the groove of playing tournaments and matches, but I am so excited to be competing again,” Maria said. “It has not been an easy process these last few months,” wrote Sharapova on her website. Maria has played a doubles match since the injury, in Indian Wells last month, where she lost in the 1st round in 3 sets. “My family and coach have been a tremendous part of this comeback, and I think it’s important to acknowledge that without their drive, daily laughs and endless belief in my ability, I would be sipping a pina colada on a deserted island (not that there’s something wrong with that, but playing tennis is just so much more exciting at this stage of my life),” said the startlet.

No comments: