Saturday, May 23, 2009

Dulgheru wins Warsaw


Little-known Alexandra Dulgheu won the Warsaw Open on Saturday with a 3 set victory over Alyona Bondarenko. After winning the 1st set in a gut-wrenching tiebreak, Bondarenko took the 2nd set fairly easly. Dulgheru recovered from her drop in play and served Bondarenko a bagel in the final set, winning her 1st Sony Ericsson WTA title of her young career and battling through a final that included strong winds and 2 rain delays. Dulgheru lost just 1 set en route to the title. “My first plan was to try and pass the (qualifications) of the tournament, and doing that was a great achievement for me,” said the 19 year old. “I did not expect this and I’m really happy that I won.”

Warsaw
Women's Singles- Finals

Alexandra Dulgheru def. Alona Bondarenko (8), 7-6 (7-3), 3-6, 6-0

No comments: