Saturday, May 30, 2009

Nadal against doping tests


In the midst of Richard Gasquet's suspension because of alledgedly smoking cocaine in Miami in March, Rafael Nadal has spoken out in support of his friend and peer, Gasquet. "I support him. I'm certain that he's not taking anything," Nadal said in a press conference in Paris. "He's a good friend of mine and I discussed this with him last week and he's most certainly not taking cocaine. You know what the world is like today. You go to a party... if you kiss a girl who's taken cocaine, anything can happen. This can destroy your career and this is most unfair." The World Anti-Doping Agency has a rule stating that players must tell their national anti-doping authorities where they will be from 6 am- 11 am every day for a 3 month time period. Nadal criticized this as well, stating that the ITF should do something about the "unfair" measures. "The International Tennis Federation (ITF) should take measures," said the 4-time French Open champion. "I don't have the impression that it's good to put so much pressure on us. They harass us. If I lose tomorrow, I'll go back to Mallorca and who will know where I am if I have no access to the internet? Now, if they knock at my door in Mallorca, they're going to give me a warning. It's happened to Carlos Moya before. They sent him a warning and this is most unfair."

No comments: