Sunday, March 8, 2009

Indian Wells: Sharapova out of singles, competing in doubles


Maria Sharapova may not be playing in the singles at the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells, but I am SO excited to finally get to see her play tennis again. Sharapova will be competing in the doubles with compatriot and friend, Elene Vesnina. Sharapova hasn't played in a doubles tournament since 2005 and she has never played with Vesnina. Personally, Sharapova's absense from the singles doesn't bother me, as long as I get to see her back in action. Her last tournament was in July of 2008. "I am excited to be playing competitive tennis again," said Sharapova. "The healing process takes time, and requires things to move more slowly than I would like, but I am taking things one step at a time. I look forward to playing at the BNP Paribas Open, it is definitely one of my favorite tournaments in the world." Tournament director, Steve Simon had this to say about the exciting news. "We are very glad that Maria will be competing at the BNP Paribas Open, it is great to see her healthy and back on the court. The game has missed her and we wish her the best of luck and hope she has a great tournament." The game sure has missed her and I'm sure we are all hoping she can compete in the Sony Ericsson Open in Miami in late March. Indian Wells begins on March 11th. Sharapova also has a new campaign with Cole Haan, so she sure has kept busy during her time off.


Serving up the topics for you to discuss,


Jake

No comments: