Sunday, April 5, 2009

Venus' One-on-One with Tennisnews.com

Tennisnews.com, a popular destination (and 1 of my personal favorites) for nonstop tennis news, interviewed 7 time grand slam champion, Venus Williams. They asked about the tradition in Charelston, which is where Venus currently is preparing for the Family Circle Cup. They also chatted about what life would be like after tennis, hobbies off the court and charity work.

What can you say about the Family Circle Cup fans and the popularity of you and Serena in Charleston?

"I have enjoyed playing in Charleston. The fans are very knowledgeable about tennis and really seem to rally around the event. Over the years, I look forward to returning to markets where the fans are so excited about our sport."

Why do you think the fan support for you guys is different here?

"There is such a rich tradition of tennis with Charleston, and this market has seen so many of the very best players here. I guess Serena and I are seen as a continuation of the great history at the Family Circle Cup and we are proud of that. The event organizers and Family Circle also deserve a lot of credit for making sure that the fans and players continue to have a great experience."

What do you think you will be doing in 10 years?

"I hope that I have transitioned into a successful career that will focus on my fashion and design interests."

Why is charity work so important to you and what are the projects closest to your heart?

"I realize that my access to the media gives me a chance to help bring awareness to the good work that so many people are doing to help others. I am always impressed on the charitable projects that I work on to see people commit their time to selflessly help others who are in need. I have worked closely with the WTA to establish a gender equality initiative with UNESCO (which is a United Nations charitable organization) to help educate and empower women around the world. This has been a great experience. I have also lent my time to a variety of educational initiatives as well as supporting the Women's Sports Foundation."

When can we expect to see a Venus Starr Interiors outlet open in Charleston?


"Hopefully within the next 10 years."

What do you like so much about interior design?

"The creative process has always intrigued me. Every project is a new creative challenge and I really enjoy seeing my ideas come to life."

What are your favorite things to do in Charleston when you are not playing tennis or watching Serena play tennis?

"The restaurant and food scene is something that I always look forward to. I don't think many people know about how great the culinary tradition is in Charleston."

Why do you think there are not more Americans near the top of the WTA Tour rankings?

"Young people in America have so many options that pursuing a career in sports is not always the first priority. The educational system is great and there are so many great job opportunities. Having said that I have seen some talented young American players. I also believe that things come in cycles and we will see another generation of great American players before long."

No comments: