Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Coria retires at 27


Guillermo Coria is done with professional tennis at the tender age of 27. Coria blossomed in 2004, when he reached the Roland Garros final, losing to Gaston Gaudio, the last person other than Rafa Nadal to win the title. Coria won 9 titles in his career, and was notorious for recieving penalties, 1 of them at Wimbledon. In 2003, he was South America's highest ranked player, and his last title was at Umag in 2005. “In 2005 I began to feel less and less like competing,” he said. “My passion just wasn’t the same and it’s impossible to do things well when it’s like that. In this sport, you have to be at 100 percent. I’m very happy with the decision I’ve taken,” said the former world number 3, “since I have new projects and I will be able to spend more time with my family.” Coria's career lasted 9 years.

No comments: