Saturday, April 11, 2009

Nadal to play Queens Club, Murray partners with Corretja


Rafael Nadal has changed his mind and decided to attempt to defend his title at the Wimbledon leadup tournament, Queens Club. Nadal won the title in 2008 and wenton to win his first Wimbledon. Nadal defeated Novak Djokovic in the final at Queens, 7-6, 7-5. The tournament will take place from June 8th- June 14th and it will be Nadal's 5th appearance.

With the European clay cour season just days away, Andy Murray, who has not fared well on clay in his young career, has hired Alex Corretja to give him clay advice for Monte Carlo, Rome, Madrid and Roland Garros. Murray will mantain his succesful partnership with coach, Miles Maclagan, but the Brit says that having a "different voice" to give him tips will be good. Murray is among the elite on hardcoursts, but he failed to reach the quarterfinals at all 5 clay events he participated in last year. Corretja, a former world number 2, will be crucial in helping Murray take over the number 3 ranking, which is just 170 points away. "I'll see how it works out. I don't want to complicate things. Miles is my coach and Miles will be the one talking to me about my tactics and hitting with me before matches and going through what I've done well and what I haven't done well. If you are watching on TV you can sometimes see things that you can't see on the side of the court. It's good sometimes to have someone else looking out for things. Miles and I get on well. Hopefully Alex and Miles can make a good team," said Murray. Murray says that as a junior, he loved the clay but has weakened on the surface since. "I need to get used to playing on it again, get used to all the different sort of skills needed on clay which you don't necessarily use on hard courts." Murray will have very little points to defend this dirt season, while number 3 Djokovic, will have plenty, after his 2008 title in Rome and semifinals in Paris and Monte Carlo.

No comments: