Sunday, April 4, 2010

Clijsters Crushes Venus to Take Miami Crown, Enter the Top 10

I think I should apologize to Kim Clijsters for not giving her much of a chance against Venus Williams in the finals of the Sony Ericsson Open, because despite how good Williams was entering the match, Clijsters was SO much better.

In less than an hour Clijsters absolutely dominated Venus, winning 17 straight points in the second set in the 6-2, 6-1 win. In the lopsided victory, the 3rd seeded Williams hit 30 unforced errors and won just 9 baseline points to her opponent's 37.

“I felt like from the beginning I was ready to go and really seeing the ball well,” said Clijsters, who along with her $700,000 winnings will improve her ranking to 10th. “Of course she hit a lot of easy mistakes today, so I was just really trying to not lose my rhythm.”

“It wasn’t my best day,” Williams, who had trouble managing a knee injury, said. “She played extremely solid, but it’s not like I was blown off the court. Unfortunately, I was my own worst enemy.”




No comments: