Monday, March 22, 2010

Indian Wells Results: Jankovic Captures First Title of '10 with IW Win

It's been quite a long time since we were talking about Jelena Jankovic as a Grand Slam contender, as her results didn't accurately represent her obvious talent, but the Serb has decided she's ready to be taken seriously, and her flawless run in Indian Wells has shut up all the doubters.

On Sunday in the finals of the BNP Paribas Open, Jelena Jankovic really took it to Caroline Wozniacki, dictating all the rallies with a constant aggression that the soon-to-be world number 2 could not match. “I wanted to be really aggressive, but at the same time patient, and not really go for too much or go over the limit with some balls,” said Jankovic following the 6-2, 6-2 win. “I waited for my opportunities, and when I had them, I took them.”

When the errors were flying and the first serves weren't hitting, Wozniacki called her coach, also known as dad, onto the court for strategic support, but it was no use as Jankovic, who will improve her ranking to 8th next week, was simply too good.

The win is Jelena's first since August 2009, and she plans on keeping it up, telling the press, "I’m looking forward to playing some good tennis and really doing the right things out there, and if I’m doing that, I’ll be winning big titles and the ranking will come on its own. I’m looking to do well in the big events."



No comments: