Friday, January 29, 2010

Venus and Serena Take Home the Doubles Title

Serena Williams of the United States (L) and her sister Venus Williams (R) hold trophy during the awarding ceremony,


The Williams sisters simply can't be stopped.

Venus and Serena added yet another major doubles title to their resumes when the ladies took home the Australian Open title on Friday, defeating world number 1 doubles team Cara Black and Liezel Huber 6-4, 6-3.

Serena and Venus Williams


The sisters' doubles accomplishments often go unnoticed, but when they step on the court in unsion, they seem invincible. The title is their 12th major in doubles together, and their 3rd straight, as they also dominated at Wimbledon and the US Open.

Venus always stresses how she looks after her sister, but on match point, it was big sis that was discombobulated. Here's the scoop;


Q. Venus, talk us through the last point or so, because it seemed that it was done and dusted and you were ready to go again.

VENUS WILLIAMS: I actually didn’t know the score. I thought that it was 5‑2. I really don’t know how I lost track. So I was confused, but I guess that’s just focus.

Q. What was going through your mind? Serena was happy…

VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, yeah, I thought, She’s really happy about this break. (Laughter.) I thought, Wow, I’ve never seen her this happy. But I’ll go with it.

Q. Serena, were you stunned by the sort of lack of response you were getting back?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I thought, Okay, this is exciting. You know, we defended our title and she was like, What’s going on? I’m like, The match is over. We’re done now. It was funny.

Q. So you had no time to get nervous? What was your feeling?

VENUS WILLIAMS: No. That’s what I said. I was like, Serena, I guess it’s easier to hold at 3‑2 instead of 4‑3. I thought it was breakpoint. I didn’t know it was match ‑‑ I mean, I need to play all my matches like this without knowing the score. I think it would help.


Serena and Venus Williams
Take a moment to appreciate these two, because our sport would be so different without them. Congrats!!

No comments: