Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Federer pulls out of Dubai and Davis Cup Tie

Roger Federer announced on Tuesday that he will not be participating in the ATP 500 tournament in Dubai next week. The tournament was set to feature the world top 8 players, but now is without the 13 time Grand Slam winner. Federer also said that he will not be participating in Switzerland's Davis Cup tie with the United States March 6th through 8th. The withdrawals are due to Federer's lingering back injury which has been knagging the superstar since the 2008 Tennis Masters Cup. Federer wrote on his website "Today I am disappointed to announce that I am withdrawing from both Dubai and the Davis Cup tie in the United States. This was a hard decision to make as I am missing not only one of my favorite events on tour in Dubai but I am also missing out on an opportunity to help my country try and move on to the next round of Davis Cup." He went on to add, "As a precautionary measure, I will use the next few weeks to make sure the back injury is fully rehabilitated and I am ready for the rest of the 2009 season."

Serving up the topics for you to discuss,

Jake

No comments: