Sunday, May 16, 2010

Rafa Makes History With Win Over Fed; 18th Masters Title

We waited an entire year for the greatest rivalry in tennis to be reignited and when it happened, on Sunday in the finals of the Madrid Masters, it was all that we expected and more, as Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer when head to head in two tough and compelling sets. Nadal came out on top, winning his 3rd straight title and improving his record against his Swiss nemesis to 14-7, while his 2010 clay record stayed perfect. Rafa broke in the 7th game of the first set and continued to hold serve, taking the opener 6-4. Federer got off to a strong start in the 2nd, only to go down a break again. The world number 1 evened the set at 6-6 but lost a closely played tiebreaker 7-5, whiffing the Spaniard's service return on match point.

“The most important thing is winning at home; winning in Madrid is a dream. After that, I think about the ranking,” said Rafa, who will return to number 2 in the rankings. “Against this opponent, it’s always going to be difficult.”

“I wasn’t able to defend my title here today but I thought Rafa played an incredible clay-court season,” said Federer, the 2009 Madrid champion. “I’m looking forward to Paris now. I’m happy with my clay-court game.”




No comments: