Wednesday, May 26, 2010

French Open Organizers Couldn't Care Less About the French


For a country that has been longing for a major champion for so, so long, you would think. think that the French open committee would oblige to their players requests to better the country's chances of winning a big one. But you'd be wrong.

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga crushed his countryman Josselin Ouanna on Wednesday, 6-0, 6-1, 6-4, but he was less than thrilled by the scheduling of his first and second round matches, and lashed out at the organizers of the year's second slam at his presser.

"Frankly, I was a bit disappointed because I was playing on a Sunday,” said Tsonga. “I had asked not to play on a Sunday, absolutely, because I had practiced in such a way that I thought I wanted to play on a Monday or Tuesday, to be totally fit. But they imposed it. Today, we’re in France. I’m French. I’m the French No. 1. I would have thought it was legitimate for me to be listened to."

He added, "If you look at (Andy) Murray, if he decides on a day or a time schedule at Wimbledon, nobody is going to impose anything on him. For (Roger) Federer, in his country it’s the same. And in the U.S., I suppose it’s the same thing for the best American players. I think that Lleyton (Hewitt) probably plays in the sun during the Australian Open because he loves the sun and other opponents don’t like the sun."


Yes, maybe Jo-WIlly could have said the "I'm the French No. 1" part better, but he's got a point. Richard Gasquet, also from France, lost in 5 sets to Andy Murray in the first round and also complained about the tournament committee giving him the short end of the stick. Perhaps they'll realize their wrongdoings when Tsonga is too worn out to make a big run.

No comments: