Saturday, October 3, 2009

Maria Captures Tokyo Title



It's been quite a long time coming, hasn't it? For the first time in a whopping 18 months, Maria Sharapova has captured a WTA Tour title. Sharapova defeated Jelena Jankovic in the finals of the Toray Pan Pacific Open after JJ retired trailing 5-2 in the first set. It was Maria's first title since undergoing shoulder surgery in October 2008. Amelia Island in April '08 was her last tournament victory. “These things happen but I’ll certainly take it,” Sharapova said following Jankovic's premature retirement. “It’s great to have that adrenaline again.” Sharapova still believes that she can contend for many more Grand Slams. After all, she's just 22, although she is a tour veteran. “It’s funny to win trophies again after thinking I might never be able to hit a tennis ball again. But I’m back and I’m hungry. I can be better than before and win more grand slams.”

No comments: