Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Rafa Blasts Berdych for 8th Slam, 2nd Wimbledon

Sorry it's taken me so long to get my lazy-ass up and blog about Rafael Nadal's incrdible Wimbledon title, earned on Sunday. The Spaniard showed his superior athleticism and experience in dismantling Tomas Berdych shot-by-shot in the finals at the All England Club. Despite not hitting his forehand the way he would have liked in the 6-3, 7-5, 6-4 victory, Nadal was able to save important break points, most notably in the first game of the second set. Berdych, on the other hand, never found a rhythm serving-wise, although he hit his powerful forehand aggressively.

En route to the finals berdych made history, knocking out Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic, wile Rafa went through a tough crowd himself, defeating Robin Soderling and And Murray. The 2nd Wimbldon win and 8th Grand Slam overall move Rafa into very, very good company, tying Andre Agassi, Ivan Lendl, Fred Perry, Ken Rosewall and Jimmy Connors on the All-Time Major Championships list. Also, he has now done twice what is considered one of the toughest feats in the sport: complete the Roland Garros-Wimbedon double.

"This year, i came back and to have the trophy in my hand is more than I can dream," said Rafa, just 24 years old. "It (missing the tournament in 2009) was probably one of the toughest moments in my career. Winning here was always my dream. I did it two years ago, did it again this year. Unbelievable."

Don't get too filled biting that trophy, Rafa. I'm sure there's plenty more to come.





No comments: